Nanotechnology is the common denominator that gathers eight institutions, from the euro-region Galicia-Northern Portugal, around Nanovalor, a project funded by the ERDF through the Programa Operativo de Cooperación Transfronteiriza España-Portugal 2007-2013 (POCTEP).
The main goal is to strengthen institutional collaborative ties between key players’ organisations. Apart from INL (International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory) the project includes the Universidade de Minho (coordinator) TecMinho, Inesc Porto and Universidade do Porto, from Northern Portugal, and Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Fundación Empresa-Universidade Galega, Asociación de Investigación Metalúrxica do Noroeste from Galicia.
- The increased competitiveness of the Euroregion Galicia-Northern Portugal is one of the key factors to ensure its sustainable economic growth.
- This Euro-region currently faces the challenge of finding solutions and innovative routes to overcome the prolonged economic crisis (which has affected the productivity and employment) and to consolidate their development model.
- The engagement among the private sector in the valorisation and commercialization of Nanotechnology RTD is inefficient.
- The strategy to be adopted should be strongly structured in establishing strong links between innovation, technology and research & development, in the nanotechnology area.
- Promote a strategic and effective trans-regional territorial cooperation so that nanotechnology becomes a key driver of economic and social development of the Euroregion.
- Promote collaboration between public and private sector (e.g. universities, research centers and industry) to enhance the valorization and commercialization of nanotechnology RTD activities.
- Encourage academia, RTD centers and the private sector (e.g. industrial companies, entrepreneurs, investors, banks, business angels and venture capitals) to join a genuine new collaboration platform for development, based on a dynamic competitiveness pole, that results in a clear collective strategy to address the lack of most companies’ experience in the valorization and exploitation of nanotechnology potential.
- Establish Nanotechnology RTD and innovation communities to promote the development and implementation of concrete RTD&I projects.
- Analyze, adapt and transfer replicable methodologies regarding Nanotechnology RTD and commercialisation.
- Promote innovation in products, processes and services through the joint valorisation and commercialisation of Nanotechnology RTD results, in the North of Portugal-Galicia Euroregion.
- Innovation, technology and the reinforcement of activities that create added value as well as the enhancement of human capital qualification are key factors that have to be the priorities of the strategic projects in the region.
You can find out more in the projects' website www.nanovalor.org