Food Quality and Safety
Alejandro Garrido-Maestu joined the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory in July 2015 as a Marie Curie COFUND Research Fellow. Within this project his research was aimed to develop a fast multipathogen detection lab-on-a-chip based on DNA amplification by loop-mediated isothermal amplification combined with gold nanoparticles. He is interested in the development, and application, of molecular methods for the detection and quantification of foodborne pathogens, implementation of bacteriophages as fast detection tools, and discrimination among viable and dead microorganisms. To this end, he is working with different DNA amplification techniques such as PCR/ qPCR, LAMP, LCR or RPA.
Dr. Garrido-Maestu holds a Diploma in Biology (2006), and a Master in Methodologies and Applications in Life Sciences (2010) from the University of Vigo, where he also obtained his Ph.D. (2013). He started his postdoctoral training in the Emerging Pathogens Institute working in the synthesis and evaluation of chitosan nanoparticles for the control of E. coli O157 in cattle.
- Chapela, M. J., Fajardo, P., Garrido, A., Cabado, A. G., Ferreira, M., Lago, J., & Vieites, J. M.
Comparison between a TaqMan polymerase chain reaction assay and a culture method for ctx-positive Vibrio cholerae detection.
Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 58(7), 4051-4055.(2010)
- Garrido, A., Chapela, M. J., Román, B., Ferreira, M., Lago, J., Vieites, J. M., & Cabado, A. G.
Development of a multiplex real-time PCR method for simultaneous detection of Salmonella enterica, Shigella flexneri and Listeria monocytogenes in processed food samples.
European Food Research and Technology, 234(4), 571-580.(2012)
- Garrido, A., Chapela, M. J., Román, B., Fajardo, P., Vieites, J. M., & Cabado, A. G. In-house validation of a multiplex real-time PCR method for simultaneous detection of Salmonella spp., Escherichia coli O157 and Listeria monocytogenes.
International journal of food microbiology, 164(1), 92-98 (2013).
- Garrido-Maestu, A., Chapela, M. J., Peñaranda, E., Vieites, J. M., & Cabado, A. G.
In-house validation of novel multiplex real-time PCR gene combination for the simultaneous detection of the main human pathogenic vibrios (Vibrio cholerae, Vibrio parahaemolyticus, and Vibrio vulnificus).
Food Control, 37, 371-379 (2014)
- Garrido-Maestu, A., Chapela, M. J., Vieites, J. M., & Cabado, A. G.
lolB gene, a valid alternative for qPCR detection of Vibrio cholerae in food and environmental samples.
Food microbiology, 46, 535-540, 2015