Dr. Enrique Carbó-Argibay is an Electron Microscopy Facility Manager in the Department of Advanced Electron Microscopy, Imaging and Spectroscopy at INL. He is in charge of maintaining cutting-edge instrumentation, particularly advanced electron microscopes, in top shape, to directly enable groundbreaking science and engineering. He also provides hands-on training and technical support to internal and external users from academia, industry and non-profit organizations. This role is part of the “Open Access” policy implemented at INL that allows access by external users to the cutting-edge facilities at INL.
Enrique received his Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from the University of Vigo in 2011, working in the synthesis, structural characterization and optical properties of plasmonic nanoparticles. After a brief period as Technology Transfer Officer, he joined INL in 2003 as postdoctoral researcher to work on the synthesis and electron microscopy characterization of nanomaterials. Subsequently, he focused his research on understanding the structure and chemical composition of 2D materials, by using aberration-corrected TEM/STEM coupled with EELS and EDS techniques. In 2017, he became a Facility Manager in electron microscopy.
- Carbó-Argibay, E.; Rodríguez-González, B.; Pacifico, J.; Pastoriza-Santos, I.; Pérez-Juste, J.; Liz-Marzán, L.M.
Chemical Sharpening of Gold Nanorods: The Rod-to-Octahedron Transition
Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2007
- Carbó-Argibay, E.; Rodríguez-González, B.; Gómez-Graña, S.; Guerrero-Martínez, A.; Pastoriza-Santos, I.; Pérez-Juste, J.; Liz-Marzán, L.M
The crystalline structure of gold nanorods revisited. Evidence for higher index lateral facets
Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2010
- Alvarez-Puebla, R.A.; Agarwal, A.; Manna, P.; Khanal, B.P.; Aldeanueva-Potel, P.; Carbó-Argibay, E.; Pazos-Pérez, N.; Vigderman, L.; Zubarev, E.R.; Kotov, N.A.; Liz-Marzán, L.M.
Gold Nanorods 3D-Supercrystals as SERS substrates for the Rapid Detection of Scrambled Prions.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2011
- Goris, B.; Bals, S.; Van den Broek, W.; Carbó-Argibay, E.; Gómez-Graña, S.; Liz-Marzán, L.M.
Atomic scale determination of surface facets in gold nanorods
Nature Materials 2012
- Carbó-Argibay, E.; Mourdikoudis, S.; Pastoriza-Santos, I.; Pérez-Juste, J.
Book chapter – Chapter 2. Nanocolloids of Noble Metals – Book: Nanocolloids: A Meeting Point for Scientists and Technologists