Atomic Manipulation for Quantum Nanotechnology
Since 2017 Zhongchang Wang started as a principal investigator (PI) and senior staff researcher at the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL), and established a research group of ‘Atomic Manipulation for Quantum Nanotechnology’ there. He is going to work on structure-property interplay of two-dimensional materials and nanomaterials at the atomic scale so as to fulfill atomic manipulation of quantum nanostructures through combining electron microscopy, spectroscopy, first-principles calculations and property assessment.
Zhongchang Wang received a Master degree from Chongqing University in China (2004) and a Ph. D. in materials science and engineering from the University of Tokyo in Japan (2007) where he worked on elucidation of switching meachism of atomic switches. He thereafter spent two years (2008-2009) as a postdoctoral research associate at Advanced Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University (Japan) and subsequently three years (2010-2013) as an assistant professor in the same institution. In 2013, he was promoted to associate professor at Advanced Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University. In 2016, he was also a visiting scientist at University College London (UCL), UK. In Tohoku University, he conducted both experiments and first-principles calculations with a special attention on defects and interfaces in functional materials and on how they mediate material property shift at atomic scale, aimed at tackling fundamental material issues in a broad range of functional material systems.
- Z. C. Wang, M. Saito, K. P. McKenna, S. Fukami, H. Sato, S. Ikeda, H. Ohno, and Y. Ikuhara “Atomic-Scale Structure and Local Chemistry of CoFeB-MgO Magnetic Tunnel Junctions”, Nano Letters 16, 1530−1536 (2016)
- Y. X. Li, Z. C. Wang*, J. J. Yao, Z. G. Wang, C. L. Chen, R. Sun, Z. P. Tian, Y. J. Wang, C. T. Luo, Y. D. Yang, R. Viswan, J. F. Li, and D. Viehland “Magnetoelectric Quasi (0-3) Nanocomposite Heterostructures”, Nature Communications 6, 6680−1−7 (2015)
- Z. C. Wang*, M. Saito, K. P. McKenna, and Y. Ikuhara “Polymorphism of Dislocation Core Structures at the Atomic Scale”, Nature Communications 5, 3239−1−7 (2014)
- Z. C. Wang*, M. Saito, K. McKenna, L. Gu, S. Tsukimoto, A. Shluger, and Y. Ikuhara “Atom-Resolved Imaging of Ordered Defect Superstructures at Individual Grain Boundaries”, Nature 479, 380−383 (2011)
- Z. C. Wang*, M. Okude, M. Saito, S. Tsukimoto, A. Ohtomo, M. Tsukada, M. Kawasaki, and Y. Ikuhara “Dimensionality-Driven Insulator-Metal Transition in A-Site Excess Nonstoichiometric Perovskites”, Nature Communications 1, 106−1−7 (2010)