Pablo Fuciños holds Diplomas in Agricultural Engineering (2000) and Food Science and Technology (2004) from the University of Vigo (Spain), where he also obtained a PhD degree (2007) under the supervision of Profs. M.L. Rúa and L. Pastrana. He worked mainly on the production, purification and characterization of microbial thermophilic enzymes; the synthesis, application and modelling of nanohydrogel-based systems; and the production of bioactive peptides.
His postdoctoral training included research stays in the Department of Physical Chemistry, at National University of Rosario (Argentina); the School of Chemical Engineering at The University of Manchester (UK); the Group of Biotechnology and Genetics of Extreme Thermophilic Bacteria, at the Centro de Biología Molecular Severo Ochoa (Madrid, Spain); and the Group of Recycling and Recovery of Waste Materials at the Institute of Marine Research (IIM-CSIC, Vigo, Spain).
Pablo Fuciños joined the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory in May 2014 as a Marie Curie COFUND Research Fellow.
At the INL, his research is aimed to fine-tuning smart-nanohydrogels as phage-delivery systems for the control of foodborne pathogens.
Selected recent publications
1. Fuciños C, Fuciños P, Pastrana LM, Rúa ML. Functional characterization of poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) nanohydrogels for the controlled release of food preservatives. Food and Bioprocess Technology 2014; in press, doi:10.1007/s11947-014-1351-5.
2. Fuciños C, Fuciños P, Míguez M, Katime I, Pastrana LM, Rúa ML. Temperature- and pH-sensitive nanohydrogels of poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) for food packaging applications: Modelling the swelling-collapse behaviour. PLoS ONE 2014;9(2):e87190.
3. Fuciños P, Atanes E, López-López O, Solaroli M, Cerdán ME, González-Siso MI, Pastrana L, Rúa ML. Cloning, expression, purification and characterization of an oligomeric his-tagged thermophilic esterase from Thermus thermophilus HB27. Process Biochemistry 2014;49(6):927-35.
4. Estévez N, Fuciños P, Sobrosa AC, Pastrana L, Pérez N, Luisa Rúa M. Modeling the angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitory activity of peptide mixtures obtained from cheese whey hydrolysates using concentration-response curves. Biotechnology Progress 2012;28(5):1197-206.
5. Fuciños P, Pastrana L, Sanromán A, Longo MA, Hermoso JA, Rúa ML. An esterase from Thermus thermophilus HB27 with hyper-thermoalkalophilic properties: Purification, characterisation and structural modelling. Journal of Molecular Catalysis B: Enzymatic 2011;70(3-4):127-37.