Jana B. Nieder
Dr. Jana Berit Nieder joined INL as “Ultrafast Bio- and Nanophotonics” group leader in October 2014. During her PhD in the group of Prof. Dr. Robert Bittl at Freie Universität Berlin, Germany she studied pigment-protein interactions as well as plasmonic interaction effects between photosynthetic complexes and metal nanostructures using single molecule techniques. As a postdoctoral researcher at ICFO-The institute of Photonic Sciences in Barcelona, Spain she worked with her colleagues of the ‘Molecular Nanophotonics’ group led by Prof. Dr. Niek van Hulst on the development of a femtosecond pulse shaping technique suited for the study of fast energy transfer dynamics in single molecular complexes. Using nonlinear nanoparticles, a novel spatio-temporal sensitivity has been created which was e.g. used to study long-living quantum coherences in single light-harvesting complexes. Right before joining INL, Dr. Jana B. Nieder gained experience in performing super-resolution microscopy experiments at the Institute Gulbenkian de Ciência in Oeiras, Portugal. Where her studies were part of biomedical research projects related to virology and epigenetics.
Selected recent publications
• Nicolò Accanto, Jana B. Nieder, Lukasz Piatkowski, Marta Castro-Lopez, Francesco Pastorelli, Daan Brinks, Niek F. van Hulst, “Phase control of femtosecond pulses on the nanoscale using second harmonic nanoparticles“, Light: Science & Applications, 3, e143, 2014
• Daan Brinks, Richard Hildner, Erik M.H.P. van Dijk, Fernando D. Stefani, Jana B. Nieder, Jordi Hernando and Niek F. van Hulst, “Ultrafast dynamics in single molecules“, Chemical Society Reviews,43, 2476-249, 2014
• Jana B. Nieder, Martin Hussels, Robert Bittl, Marc Brecht, “Effect of TMAO and Betaine on the Energy Landscape of Photosystem I”, Biochimica Biophysica Acta – Bioenergetics, 1837(6):849-856, 2014
• Richard Hildner, Daan Brinks, Jana B. Nieder, Richard J. Cogdell, Niek F. van Hulst “Quantum coherent energy transfer over varying pathways in single light-harvesting complexes“, Science 340(6139)1448, 2013
• Jana B. Nieder, Emina A Stojkovic, Keith Moffat, Katrina T. Forest, Tilman Lamparter, Robert Bittl, John T.M. Kennis “Pigment-Protein Interactions in Phytochromes Probed by Fluorescence Line Narrowing Spectroscopy.“, The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 117 (48):14940-50, 2013