Leonard Deepak Francis
Leonard Deepak Francis is a Staff Researcher and currently leads the Advanced Electron Microscopy group at INL. Leonard Deepak Francis received his PhD (2000-2005) from JNCASR, Bangalore, India where he carried out work on inorganic nanowires and related nanomaterials under the direction of Prof. C.N.R. Rao. Subsequently he did his postdoc (2006-2008) with Prof. Reshef Tenne at the Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel working on modifying the electronic properties of fullerene-like nanoparticles and nanotubes of MoS2 and WS2 by suitable doping. Leonard joined INL in August 2008 as a postdoctoral fellow and worked in a collaboration project with Prof. Miguel José–Yacamán at the University of Texas, San Antonio. In March 2011 he moved to INL as a research fellow and since 2013 he is a Staff Researcher. At INL his research is focused on the use of advanced electron microscopic techniques in the investigation of nanomaterials.
Leonard has published more than 75 papers including several review articles in major international journals as well as a book chapter entitled “HRTEM and Catalysis” in the book “Advanced Electron Microscopy in Catalysis Research” (Pub: Academic Press, Ed. Peter Hawkes). More recently he has edited a book entitled “Advanced Transmission Electron Microscopy – Applications to Nanomaterials” published by Springer (2015). Two of his articles have made it to the cover page of journals. He served as the guest editor for a special issue of the Journal of Nano Materials: Nanomaterial Properties: Size and Shape Dependencies. He is currently participating in two major European projects: NANOHVAC and NANoReg. In addition he is an acting referee for various ACS, RSC and Elsevier journals among others. Leonard also holds 3 joint patents. His articles have been cited over 1000 times in total and he has a h-index of 21 (ORCID: 0000-0002-3833-1775, Researcher ID: I-5718-2013).
Selected Recent Publications
(1) Controlling Bimetallic Nanostructures by the Microemulsion Method with Subnanometer Resolution Using a Prediction Model, David Buceta, Concha Tojo, Miomir Vukmirovic, Francis Leonard Deepak, Arturo M. Lopez-Quintela, Langmuir. 31, 7435-7439 (2015).
(2) Plasmonic response of DNA-Assembled Gold Nanorods (AuNRs), Stephanie Vial, Dmytro Nykypanchuk, Francis Leonard Deepak, Marta Prado, and Oleg Gang, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 433, 34-42 (2014).
(3) Understanding the structure of nanocatalysts with High Resolution Scanning/ Transmission Electron Microscopy Francis Leonard Deepak, Jose Rivas, Miguel Jose-Yacaman, EMAS 2013 Workshop: 13th European Workshop On Modern Developments And Applications In Microbeam Analysis Book Series: IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 55, 012005 (2014).
(4) J. Jesús Velázquez-Salazar, Rodrigo Esparza, Sergio Mejía-Rosales, Rubén Estrada-Salas, Arturo Ponce, Francis Leonard Deepak, and Miguel José-Yacamán, Experimental Evidence of Icosahedral and Decahedral Packing in One-Dimensional Nanostructures, ACS Nano, 5 (8), 6272–6278 (2011).
(5) Alvaro Mayoral, Rodrigo Esparza, Francis Leonard Deepak, Gilberto Casillas, Miguel Jose-Yacaman, Study of nanoparticles at UTSA: one year of using the first ARM-200 installed in USA, JEOL News, 46, 1-5 (2011) [REVIEW].