Carlos Rodriguez-Abreu earned BSc (Cum Laude) and MSc degrees in Chemical Engineering from the University of Los Andes (Venezuela) with Prof. Jean Louis Salager as tutor, and received a PhD in Engineering as a Monbusho (Japan Ministry of Education) Scholarship grantee in 2001 from Yokohama National University (Japan) under the supervision of Prof. Hironobu Kunieda. He was an associate professor at the University of Los Andes until 2003 and then held positions as JSPS postdoctoral fellow (Yokohama National University, Japan), Juan de la Cierva fellow (University of Santiago, Spain) and Ramon y Cajal Research associate (Spanish Research Council, CSIC). He joined INL in 2010. He has published more than 80 papers in international peer-reviewed journals, four book chapters, one book and is currently senior associate editor of the Journal of Surfactants and Detergents (Springer)
Dr. Rodríguez-Abreu research interests are focused on soft matter and molecular self-assembly for the bottom-up fabrication of nanomaterials, going from fundamental to practical aspects.
Selected recent publications:
1. Ledo, A.; Rivas, J.; Rodríguez, C.; Pastor, E.; Hernández-Creus, A.; Oseroff, S. B.; López-Quintela, M.A. “Facile Synthesis of Stable, Sub-Nanosized Silver Atomic Clusters in Microemulsions” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 46, 8823 –8827 (2007).
2. Rodríguez, C.; Lazzari, M. “Emulsions with structured continuous phases” , Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science, 13, 198–205 (2008).
3. Kirmayer, S. ; Dovgolevsky, E. ; Kalina, M. ; Lakin, E. ; Cadars, S. ; Epping, J.D. ; Fernández-Arteaga, A. ; Rodríguez, C. ; Chmelka, B.F. ; Frey, G. L. “Syntheses of Mesostructured Silica Films Containing Conjugated Polymers from Tetrahydrofuran-Water Solutions” Chemistry of Materials, 20, 3745-3756 (2008).
4. Puig, J.; Zucchi, I. A. ; Hoppe, C. E. ; Pérez, C. J. ; Galante, M. J.; Williams, R. J. J. ; Rodríguez, C. “Epoxy Networks with Physical Crosslinks Produced by Tail-to-Tail Associations of Alkyl Chains” Macromolecules, 42, 9344–9350 (2009).
5. Rodriguez, C. ; Aubery, C.; Tiddy, G.J.T "Chromonic Liquid-Crystalline Phases of Pinacyanol Acetate: characterization and use as templates for the preparation of mesoporous silica nanofibers" Langmuir, 27, 3067–3073 (2011).
- Novel Nano-enabled Energy Efficient and Safe HVAC ducts and systems contributing to a healthier indoor environment
- Development of Functionalized Magnetic polymer nanobeads for biomolecular sensing using soft templating