Lifeng Liu (Researcher ID: A-2522-2012, Orcid ID: 0000-0003-2732-7399) obtained his B. S. degree in Applied Physics from Beijing Jiaotong University (2001), and both his MS (2004) and PhD (2007) degrees in Condensed Matter Physics from the Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (IOP-CAS) under the supervision of Prof. Sishen Xie (Academicians of both CAS and TWAS). He joined Max Planck Institute of Microstructure Physics – Halle (MPI-Halle), Germany in 2007, first working as a postdoctoral researcher under the supervision of the late Prof. Ulrich Goesele and Dr. Woo Lee, and then as a member of scientific staff. He started his independent research career in 2008 and became the head of group “Porous Alumina” in 2009. In 2011, he moved to the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL) and set up a research group there. Lifeng has been actively working on nanomaterials and nanostructures since 2002, with particular emphases on fabrication and characterization of complex nanostructures, nano-magnetism, nanoscale solid-state reactions, ferroelectric nanostructures and nano-electrocatalysts. His recent interest is mainly focused on nanomaterials for renewable energy generation, storage, and conversion. So far, he has authored/co-authored more than 100 peer-reviewed papers in major international journals, which have been collectively cited >3300 times, leading to an h-index of 36 (Web of Science, as of Apr. 2016; Google Scholar: citations – 4142 times; h-index: 39). In addition, Lifeng has delivered ca. 30 oral presentations at different international conferences/workshops/universities including 1 plenary talk, 2 keynote speeches, and 8 invited talks. Besides, Lifeng has offered extensive professional services to the community. He actively serves as a reviewer for ca. 60 scientific journals such as Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., J. Am. Chem. Soc., Energy Environ. Sci., Adv. Mater., ACS Nano, Adv. Funct. Mater., Small, Chem. Commun., etc., and for grant applications for several funding agencies. He was a member of organizing/scientific committee of a number of national/international conferences. Since 2011, Lifeng has successfully secured internal and external research funds totaling over 1 million Euros. Lifeng Liu was the recipient of the FCT Investigator Grant 2014.
Selected recent publications:
1) X.Q. Bao, D. Petrovykh, P. Alpuim, D. Stroppa, N. Guldris, M. Costa, H. Fonseca, J. Gaspar, C.H. Jin, Lifeng Liu*, “Amorphous molybdenum oxysulfide modified p-type silicon microwire arrays for efficient photoelectrochemical water splitting” Nano Energy 2015, 16, 130-142.
2) X.G. Wang, Y.V. Kolen’ko, X.Q. Bao, K. Kovnir, Lifeng Liu,* “One-step synthesis of self-supported nickel phosphide nanosheet array cathodes for efficient electrocatalytic H2 generation” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 8188.
3) X.Q. Bao, Lifeng Liu*, “Improved photo-stability of silicon nanobelt arrays by atomic layer deposition for efficient photocatalytic hydrogen evolution” J. Power Sources 2014, 268, 677.
4) Manab Kundu, Cheuk Chi Albert Ng, Dmitri Y. Petrovykh, Lifeng Liu* “Nickel foam supported mesoporous MnO2 nanosheet arrays with superior lithium storage performance” Chem. Commun. 2013, 49, 8459.
5) Daoai Wang,* Lianbing Zhang, Woo Lee, Mato Knez, Lifeng Liu* “Novel three-dimensional nanoporous alumina as a template for hierarchical TiO2 nanotube arrays” Small 2013, 9, 1025. (highlighted as Back Cover)