Manuel Bañobre-López received his PhD in Solid State Chemistry from the University of Santiago de Compostela. His research was focused on the study of the magnetic and electronic transport properties of layered metal transition oxides, mainly NaxCoO2 and derived ion-intercalated compounds. Particularly, he was interested in the relationship between chemical structure and the final physical properties (electrochemical properties, thermoelectricity, superconductivity…). In the last few years, he has been involved in several solid state projects, combining physics and chemistry disciplines. Particularly, he has actively participated in the chemical synthesis and magnetic characterization of nanosized metallic/magnetic systems with different structures (core-shell, wires...) and sub-nanometric metallic atomic clusters. Recently, he has been directly involved in the design of magnetic metal transition oxides based materials with potential application in biomedicine (hyperthermia, drug delivery, MRI…). In this field, his interests are directly related to the identification of the parameters that govern the hyperthermia response of magnetic nanosized materials, as well as their optimization.
1. Y. Piñeiro-Redondo, M. Bañobre-López, I. Pardiñas-Blanco, G. Goya, M. A. López-Quintela and J. Rivas. The influence of colloidal parameters on the specific power absorption of PAA-coated magnetite nanoparticles. Nanoscale Res. Lett. 6, 383 (2011).
2. M. Bañobre-López, Y. Piñeiro-Redondo, R. De Santis, A. Gloria, L. Ambrosio, A.Tampieri, V. Dediu and J. Rivas. Poly(caprolactone) based magnetic scaffolds for bone tissue engineering. J. Appl. Phys. 109, 07B313 (2011).
3. M. Sanles-Sobrido, M. Bañobre-López, V. Salgueiriño, M. A. Correa-Duarte, B. Rodríguez-González, J. Rivas and L. M. Liz-Marzán. Tailoring the magnetic properties of nickel nanoshells through controlled chemical growth. J. Mater. Chem. 20, 7360 (2010) (cover).
4. F. Rivadulla, M. Bañobre-López, C. X. Quintela, A. Piñeiro, V. Pardo, D. Baldomir, M. A. López-Quintela, J. Rivas, C. A. Ramos, H. Salva, J.-S. Zhou and J. B. Goodenough. Reduction of the bulk modulus at high pressure in CrN. Nature Mater. 8, 947 (2009).
5. M. Bañobre-López, F. Rivadulla, M. A. López-Quintela and J. Rivas. Competing Magnetism and Superconductivity in NaxCoO2 at Half Doping. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 131(28), 9632 (2009).