Andrea Cruz is currently a Staff Researcher in the Nanodevices Group. Her research interests include the development of monoplex and multiplex assay formats, the development of electrochemical biosensors for the monoplex/multiplex detection of medical biomarkers, and clinical validation protocols using biosensors.
Andrea CRUZ, MSc, PhD, holds a Master in Science from the Montfort University, UK and a PhD in Health Sciences from the University of Minho, Portugal. Andrea conducted Postdoctoral research at the Life and Health Sciences Research Institute (Portugal), the Trudeau Institute (USA), and Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular (IBMC) /Instituto de Investigação e Inovação em Saúde (i3S) (Portugal), focusing on the identification of novel disease immune biomarkers and developing of new nanotechnologies for medical applications. In 2016, Andrea joined International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL) with a Marie Curie fellow to develop a point-of-care device for detecting biomarkers in the context of different disease diagnostics. In 2020 Andrea joined the Prochild CoLAB Association being responsible for the nanomedicine/molecular medicine area.
Andrea authored several publications in the Molecular Medicine, Nanotechnology and Biosensors areas (e.g. ACS Chemical Neuroscience, JExpMed, Journal of Immunology, Frontiers in Immunology). Also, participated in numerous European and National research funded projects and have experience in supervision and mentoring PhD and Master’s Students. Andrea received several awards and distinctions (e.g. Excellence Award Pulido Valente, Best SPI Paper Award and Excellence Award Mário Arala Chaves).
- Andrea Cruz; Carla Carvalho; Alexandra Cunha; Anais Crespo; Agueda Iglesias; Laura García-Nimo; Paulo Freitas; Joaquin Cubiella.
Faecal Diagnostic Biomarkers for Colorectal Cancer
Cancers 2021, 13, 5568.
- Andrea Cruz, Catarina M. Abreu, Paulo P. Freitas and Inês Mendes Pinto
Impedimetric immunosensing for neuroinflammatory biomarker profiling
Neurodegenerative Diseases Biomarkers. Towards Translating Biomarker Research to Clinical Practice. Neuromethods Series by Springer Nature, USA. ISBN 978-1-0716-1711-3
- Catarina .M. Abreu, V. Thomas, P. Knaggs, A. Bunkheila, Andrea Cruz, S.R. Teixeira, P. Alpuim, L. W. Francis, A. Gebril, A. Ibrahim, L. Margarit, D. Gonzalez, P.P. Freitas, R.S. Conlan, I. M. Pinto
Non-invasive molecular assessment of human embryo development and implantation potential
Biosensors and Bioelectronics (2020)
- Andrea Cruz, Raquel Queirós, Catarina M. Abreu, Catarina Barata, Rosa Fernandes, Rufino Silva, Antonio F. Ambrósio, Ricardo Soares-dos-Reis, Joana Guimarães ,Maria José Sá, João B. Relvas, Paulo P. Freitas, and Inês Mendes Pinto
Electrochemical Immunosensor for TNFα-Mediated Inflammatory Disease Screening
ACS Chem. Neurosci. (2019)
- Catarina M. Abreu, Ricardo Soares-dos-Reis, Pedro N. Melo, João B. Relvas, Joana Guimarães, Maria José Sá, Andrea Cruz and Inês Mendes Pinto
Emerging Biosensing Technologies for Neuroinflammatory and Neurodegenerative Disease Diagnostics
Front. Mol. Neurosci., (2018) May 16;11:164