Milene Costa da Silva is a Research Fellow in the Nanomedicine group of the Nano4Health unit, Department of Life Sciences. Her research focuses on the development and validation of a nanoparticle-based drug delivery system to be used in cancer therapy.
Milene received her PhD in Basic and Applied Biology from the University of Porto, Portugal, and the University of Heidelberg, Germany. During her PhD, she discovered that treating several types macrophages with different sources of iron (including iron-oxide nanoparticles), modulates macrophages towards a pro-inflammatory M1-like polarization. Additionally, she was able to show that loading of tumor-associated macrophages with iron-oxide nanoparticles contributes to tumor cell death and impairment of tumor growth.
- Costa da Silva, M., Breckwoldt, M.O., Vinchi, F., Correia, M.P., Stojanovic, A., Thielmann, C.M., Meister, M., Muley, T., Warth, A., Platten, M., Hentze, M.W., Cerwenka, A., and Muckenthaler, M.U. (2017).
Iron Induces Anti-tumor Activity in Tumor-Associated Macrophages
Frontiers in immunology 8, 1479 DOI: 10.3389/fimmu.2017.01479
- Kirschbaum, K., Sonner, J.K., Zeller, M.W., Deumelandt, K., Bode, J., Sharma, R., Kruwel, T., Fischer, M., Hoffmann, A., Costa da Silva, M., Muckenthaler, M.U., Wick, W., Tews, B., Chen, J.W., Heiland, S., Bendszus, M., Platten, M., and Breckwoldt, M.O. (2016).
In vivo nanoparticle imaging of innate immune cells can serve as a marker of disease severity in a model of multiple sclerosis
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 113, 13227-13232 DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1609397113
- Vinchi, F.*, Costa da Silva, M.*, Ingoglia, G., Petrillo, S., Brinkman, N., Zuercher, A., Cerwenka, A., Tolosano, E., and Muckenthaler, M.U. (2016).
Hemopexin therapy reverts heme-induced proinflammatory phenotypic switching of macrophages in a mouse model of sickle cell disease
Blood 127, 473-486 DOI: 10.1182/blood-2015-08-663245 *First equal contribution
- Zenatti, P.P., Ribeiro, D., Li, W., Zuurbier, L., Silva, M.C., Paganin, M., Tritapoe, J., Hixon, J.A., Silveira, A.B., Cardoso, B.A., Sarmento, L.M., Correia, N., Toribio, M.L., Kobarg, J., Horstmann, M., Pieters, R., Brandalise, S.R., Ferrando, A.A., Meijerink, J.P., Durum, S.K., Yunes, J.A., and Barata, J.T. (2011).
Oncogenic IL7R gain-of-function mutations in childhood T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia
Nature genetics 43, 932-939 DOI: 10.1038/ng.924
- Martins, L.R., Lucio, P., Silva, M.C., Anderes, K.L., Gameiro, P., Silva, M.G., and Barata, J.T. (2010).
Targeting CK2 overexpression and hyperactivation as a novel therapeutic tool in chronic lymphocytic leukemia
Blood 116, 2724-2731 DOI: 10.1182/blood-2010-04-277947