Food Processing and Nutrition
Victor Souza is a Research Fellow in the Food Processing and Nutrition Group, which is part of the Life Sciences Department. His research is focused on the development of bio-based films and coatings for food applications, particularly using biodegradable polymers from renewable resources, also using nanotechnology to reinforce their properties. His main objective is to apply such technologies to extend the shelf life of perishable food items.
Victor Souza holds a diploma in Food Engineering (2008) and Master degree (2014) in Food Science and Technology both from Federal University of Viçosa (Brazil), and PhD degree (2018) in Food Quality from NOVA University of Lisbon. He was a research fellow in an ERANETMED project developing novel applications for the by-products of the Opuntia spp. production. As results of his research activity, since 2014 he has published 15 papers in international journals indexed in the SCI (with more than 400 citations; h-index of 9), 3 book chapters, 3 articles in the technical magazine, and 8 conference papers.
- Souza, Victor Gomes Lauriano; João Ricardo Afonso Pires; Carolina Rodrigues;Isabel Maria Coelhoso; Ana Luisa Fernando. 2020
Chitosan Composites in Packaging Industry—Current Trends and Future Challenges
Polymers 12 (2):417
- João R.A. Pires; Victor G.L. Souza; Ana Luísa Fernando. 2019
Valorization of energy crops as a source for nanocellulose production – Current knowledge and future prospects
Industrial Crops and Products 140: 111642-111642
- Souza, Victor Gomes Lauriano; Pires, João R.A.; Vieira, Érica Torrico; Coelhoso,Isabel M.; Duarte, Maria Paula; Fernando, Ana Luisa. 2019
Activity of chitosan-montmorillonite bionanocomposites incorporated with rosemary essential oil: From in vitro assays to application in fresh poultry meat
Food Hydrocolloids, 89: 241-252
- Souza, Victor Gomes Lauriano; Fernando, Ana Luisa; Pires, João Ricardo Afonso;Rodrigues, Patricia Freitas; Lopes, Andreia A.S.; Fernandes, Francisco M. Braz.2017.
Physical properties of chitosan films incorporated with natural antioxidants
Industrial Crops and Products 107: 565-572
- Souza, Victor Gomes Lauriano; Fernando, Ana Luisa. 2016
Nanoparticles in food packaging: Biodegradability and potential migration to food—A review
Food Packaging and Shelf Life 8: 63-70