Martin Lopez joined INL in May 2017 and he leads the “Natural and Artificial Photonic Structures and Devices” Laboratory in the Nanophotonics Department. He investigates new ways to manipulate light at micro and nano-scale with integrated devices, often relaying on state of the art fabrication and characterization technologies. He is particularly interested in natural photonics on the premise that by seeking inspiration in nature we can learn both design and fabrication methodologies for cost-effective photonic devices.
Martin received his degree in Physics (with a specialization in Optoelectronics) by the University of Santiago de Compostela in 2003. In 2006 he joined the group of Prof. Cefe Lopez in the Material Science Institute of Madrid (ICMM-CSIC) to pursue a PhD hybrid photonic-plasmonic self-assembled photonic crystals which he obtained in 2011. In 2012 he joined the Photonics Group of the University of Bristol (UK) to work with Prof. John Rarity and Dr. Ruth Oulton in the development of photonic devices for quantum information technologies. Simultaneously and together with Dr. Heather Whitney he led the investigation of photosynthetic photonic structures at the University of Bristol.
- M. Lopez-Garcia, N. Masters, H.E. O’Brien, J. Lennon, G. Atkinson, M.J. Cryan, R. Oulton, H.M. Whitney
Light-induced dynamic structural color by intracelullar 3D photonic crystals in brown algae.
Science Advances, 4, eaan8917 (2018)
- L. Chen, M. Lopez-Garcia, M. PC Taverne, X. Zheng, Y-L. D. Ho, J. G. Rarity
Direct wide-angle measurement of a photonic band structure in a three-dimensional photonic crystal using infrared Fourier imaging spectroscopy.
Optics Letters 42, 1584-1587 (2017)
- M. Jacobs, M. Lopez-Garcia, O-P. Phrathep, T.Lawson, R. Oulton, H. Whitney
Photonic multilayer structure of Begonia chloroplasts enhances photosynthetic efficiency
Nature Plants, 2, 16162 (2016)
- S. Nuñez-Sanchez, M. Lopez-Garcia, M.M. Murshidy, A.G. Abdel-Hady, M.Y. Serry, A.M. Adawi, J.G. Rarity, R. Oulton, W.L. Barnes
Excitonic Optical Tamm States: A Step toward a Full Molecular–Dielectric Photonic Integration
ACS Photonics, 3, 743-748 (2016)
- M. Lopez-Garcia, Y. D. Ho, M. P. C. Taverne, L. Chen, M. M. Murshidy, A.P Edwards, M.Y. Serry, A.M Adawi, J.G. Rarity, R. Oulton
Efficient Out-coupling and Beaming of Tamm Optical States via Surface Plasmon Polariton Excitation
Applied Physics Letters, 104 (23), 2311126 (2014)
- L. Zou, M. Lopez-Garcia, W. Withayachumnankul, C. M. Shah, A. Mitchell, M. Bhaskaran, S. Sriram, R.Oulton, M. Klemm, C. Fumeaux.
Spectral and Angular Characteristics of Dielectric Resonator Metasurface at Optical Frequencies
Applied Physics Letters, 105, 191109 (2014)
- M. Lopez-Garcia, J.F. Galisteo-Lopez, J.Sanchez-Marcos, A. Garcia-Martin, C.Lopez
Enhancement and Directionality of Spontaneous Emission in Hybrid Self-Assembled Photonic-Plasmonic Crystals
Small, 6 (16): 1757-1761 (2010)